Doctoral Students (Ph.D.) (m/w/d)
Hasso Plattner Institute (HPI) is Germany’s center of excellence for digital engineering (www.hpi.de). The Digital Engineering Faculty, founded jointly by the University of Potsdam and HPI, offers a highly practical and engineering-oriented computer science study program, which is unique throughout Germany. HPI’s university research earns international recognition, with the main focus of its teaching and research on the foundations and applications of large, highly complex and networked IT systems.
In the course of our ongoing expansion, we are currently seeking a
Ph.D. Candidate/Research Assistant in design thinking and human-centered design
for our location in Potsdam at the HPI Design Thinking in Business Innovation Chair. We encourage international applications.
- Perform scientific research in the described field;
- Participate in activities of the group and department;
- Participate in teaching activities;
- Present and publish results at high-level international conferences and journals.
Scientific research topics may include, but are not limited to:
- How to effectively prepare companies to start implementing human-centered design (HCD) and design thinking (DT).
- How to guide companies in the effective implementation of HCD and DT
- How to support companies in the continuous improvement of HCD and DT implementation and management.
- How to measure the success, efficiency, and effectiveness of HCD and DT on an organizational level.
- Master’s degree in areas such as management and business administration, computer science, psychology or a related subject (graduation with honors);
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills;
- Skills in qualitative and / or quantatitive research methods
- Fluent in English;
- Ability to work in an international multidisciplinary team;
- Willingness to travel.
What we offer...
- A driven team in which we are fully committed to helping you achieve ambitious research publications goals.
- An inspiring working environment in which we support every individual in enhancing their capabilities as a researcher and lecturer.
- Open cooperation among many nationalities is also part of our philosophy.
- Opportunity to boost your career, expand your skillset, and develop a network of international expert contacts from worldwide recognized research institutes and also large corporations.
- A pragmatic work environment where we are practical and results-oriented.
- Flat hierarchy and an unbureaucratic approach - enjoy the trust and acting independently!
Your application should consist of the following:
- Cover letter explaining your motivation and qualifications for the position (English only);
- Detailed CV (English only);
- BSc and MSc certificates (English or German);
- Transcript of records from High School (English or German);
- Digital copy of MSc Thesis (English or German);
- List of publications (English or German) (optional);
- Research proposal (English only);
The research proposal should be no longer than two pages and it should clearly cover: motivation, research problem, theoretical foundation, methods, and expected contribution.
All documents must be written either in English or German. Please pay close attention to the different language requirements for each application document. In case the original language of the document does not meet the criterion, a certified English translation is necessary.
Application documents (pdf) should be sent to Prof. Dr. Falk Uebernickel via e-mail: falk.uebernickel(at)hpi.de
The position will be open until filled.
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
Hasso-Plattner-Institut für Digital Engineering gGmbH