The Hasso Plattner Institute (HPI) is a Germany university center of excellence for digital engineering (www.hpi.de). Together with international partners, the HPI establishes applications in Digital Health as its contribution to the digital transformation in healthcare and society with global reach. The HPI conducts research and teaching for Digital Health at two locations: for Germany and Europe with the HPI Digital Health Center in Potsdam and for North America with the newly established Hasso Plattner Institute for Digital Health at Mount Sinai in New York City.
The HPI Digital Health Center — Personalized Medicine Chair of Prof. Dr. Erwin Böttinger is helping to shape the future of medicine with cutting-edge developments for data-driven personalized health services that leverage high-dimensional multimodal data. We are currently seeking a
Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m/x)
Full-time position to join our international team.
Your future tasks
- Carry out independent research on precision medicine applications, digital technologies for human health and personalized health services (PHS).
- Work and collaborate with distributed research teams in Europe and the United States under supervision of the Personalized Medicine Chair on relevant research projects.
- Research focus includes predictive modeling and clustering based on electronic health records (EHR) and multimodal data integrations (e.g., genomic data, clinical notes), leveraging standardized medical data formats and ontologies.
- Build scalable and reproducible analysis pipelines to extract, transform and load multimodal health data, including complex EHR phenotyping, in a cloud environment.
- Integrate machine learning (ML) models into patient-centered research prototypes / apps.
- Mentor and guide PhD and master students in topics relevant to the research goals.
The position is initially supported from the Smart4Health project (www.smart4health.eu), funded by the European Union Horizon 2020 Program. The objective is to develop a prototype user-centric platform for health data management/exchange and PHS on mobile devices.
- PhD, MD, or MD/PhD degree in a quantitative scientific field, such as (biomedical) informatics, clinical informatics, machine learning, data science, or (bio)statistics.
- Strong software engineering, data science or data engineering background, including experience with cloud-based computing resources, databases, and API development.
- Relevant experience with machine learning frameworks (e.g., Scikit-learn, Tensorflow, PyTorch, Keras) ideally evidenced by published work (e.g., scientific publications, Github).
- Experience with medical data formats and ontologies (e.g., FHIR, SNOMED, UMLS, OMOP CDM) is an advantage.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, fluent in spoken and written English.
What we offer
- A unique opportunity to strengthen your research profile and actively contribute to shape the digital future of medicine together with a highly motivated, interdisciplinary team.
- Access to unparalleled computing and multimodal data resources, encompassing millions of patients with our cooperation partner at Mount Sinai Health System.
- Platform to forge international collaborations with world-class research institutions abroad.
- Mentoring and support for applying for independent grants in relevant research areas.
- Possibility to strengthen teaching experience in the Master Program in Digital Health.
- A workplace on the HPI campus in Potsdam-Babelsberg (S-Bhf. Griebnitzsee), close to and well-connected with Berlin, including a subsidized public transport ticket.
We look forward to receiving your application documents including salary expectations. Please send them exclusively via e-mail in a single PDF to Dr. Wohlbrandt: attila.wohlbrandt(at)hpi.de.
Hasso-Plattner-Institut für Digital Engineering gGmbH