The doctoral examination procedure commences as soon you submit your dissertation to the office and the Doctoral Committee appoints the Examination Committee and the reviewers.
Submit the following documents
To apply for the commencement of the doctoral examination procedure, you must submit the following documents listed in Section 12 of the regulations for a doctoral degree to the faculty’s Doctoral Committee office:*
- Application to commence a doctoral examination procedure
- Five (5) copies of the dissertation, and one (1) digital version
- Seven (7) copies of a scientific abstract, with name and title of dissertation, and one (1) digital version
- Seven (7) copies of a curriculum vitae in tabular form
- One (1) a list of manuscripts or other scholarly accomplishments published or accepted for publication, assessments available thereon
- A certified copy of the degree certificate in accordance with § 4, para. 1
- An affirmation in lieu of an oath that the thesis has not been submitted to any other university so far and that it has been prepared independently and exclusively with the means indicated
- Proof of fulfillment of the requirements according to the doctoral regulations § 4 para. 3Proof of participation in at least one one-semester seminar for doctoral students.
- Proof of enrollment as a doctoral student or
- Police clearance certificate, if the doctoral student has been exmatriculated for more than three months or is not in public service
- One (1) copy of a generally understandable abstract in German language
*Please be mindful of the deadline for agenda items for the corresponding meeting of the Examination Committee.
What happens after the procedure commences?
After the procedure commences, each reviewer will be sent a copy of the dissertation. They will have eight weeks to submit their reviews.
Once the last review is submitted, if they are all positive, the chair of the Examination Committee is tasked with scheduling the oral defense. As the doctoral candidate, you will be informed that your dissertation has been accepted and your oral defense is being scheduled.
You can find information about the structure of an oral defense in Section 14 of the regulations for a doctoral degree.