Management Essentials (Wintersemester 2019/2020)
Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Eric Kearney
(Gastdozenten oder Dozenten der Uni-Potsdam)
- Weekly Hours: 2
- Credits: 3
- Enrolment Deadline: 25.10.2019
- Teaching Form: Lecture
- Enrolment Type: Compulsory Elective Module
- Course Language: English
- Maximum number of participants: 30
Programs & Modules
- Management und Leitung
This course offers an overview of the main management topics such as strategy, organization, leadership, and human resources. Management knowledge is essential for all those who at some point wish to start their own companies or strive to occupy leadership positions in existing companies. It enables a better understanding of how organizations work and of the role that individuals and teams play in organizations. Aside from the main management topics we will also address currently important issues such as new approaches to leadership, motivation, and teamwork.
The students learn about the most important management functions and how to apply this knowledge to concrete challenges in organizations.
- Knowledge-related competencies: strategy and strategic analyses; organizational structure; organizational culture; organizational change and innovation; individuals in organizations: personality, motivation, and behavior; team work in organizations; leadership; personnel selection; personnel training and development; performance management.
- Methodological competencies: Case study analysis; presentation techniques.
- Social competencies: Group work and discussions.
Griffin, R. W. (2018). Fundamentals of management. Cengage. (recommended, not mandatory)
[available in "Soft Skills" Course Reserves in the University Library, Campus Griebnitzsee]
Lecture; Group discussion; Presentations by students.
The grade will be calculated on the basis of a group presentation (40%) and a short written assignment (60%). Both the group presentation and the written assignment will focus on management aspects in organizations that the students select themselves. Further details will be provided in the first session of this course.
! The deadline for enrolment for this course is 25.10.2019.
- October 25, October 26, November 01, November 09, 2019
- Hours: 10:00 to 16:00 on each of the above dates
- Room number: D E 9/10