Probability and Computing (Sommersemester 2019)
Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Tobias Friedrich
Dr. Andreas Göbel
- Weekly Hours: 4
- Credits: 6
- Enrolment Deadline: 26.04.2019
- Teaching Form: Lecture / Exercise
- Enrolment Type: Compulsory Elective Module
- Course Language: English
- Maximum number of participants: 30
Programs & Modules
- ISAE-Techniken und Werkzeuge
- ISAE-Konzepte und Methoden
This lecture will be held in English and consists of of two parts.
In this lecture we will review important techniques and results that combine probability theory and computation. Topics include:
- Randomised Algorithms
- The probabilistic method
- The Markov chain Monte Carlo method
- Random structures and phase transitions
- Discrete time/continuous space random processes
The course requires knowledge of probability theory and basic knowledge of algorithmic design.
The main textbook is ``Probability and Computing'' by Mitzenmacher and Upfal.
Students will be given homework bi-weekly. The successful hand in of homework is required for students to participate in the final exam.
- Mondays: 13:30-15:00 in HS1
- Wednesdays: 11:00-12:30 in HS1