Process Mining in Digital Health (Sommersemester 2019)
Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Mathias Weske
(Business Process Technology)
Dr. Luise Pufahl
(Business Process Technology)
- Weekly Hours: 2
- Credits: 3
- Enrolment Deadline: 26.04.2019
- Teaching Form: Lecture / Project
- Enrolment Type: Compulsory Elective Module
- Course Language: English
Programs & Modules
Process Mining is a young and emerging discipline which allows getting insights into the nature of business processes based on the real behavior, recorded in information systems and then stored in a process event logs. Also in the healthcare domain, process mining techniques are more and more applied to exploit operational healthcare processes and to suggest improvements. Process mining provides three main operations: (1) process discovery to elicit a process model from an event log, (2) process enhancement to attach additional information to the process model, such as performance information, and (3) process conformance to compare a designed process model with the discovered one.
In this lecture, the three main process mining operations will be introduced and basic algorithms will be explained, whereby also advantages/challenges for the healthcare sector will be discussed. It will be presented how a process mining project should be conducted in the healthcare sector and which data sources can be used. Furthermore, typical data quality issues in healthcare are shown and how these can be solved.
In the project part, a practical project in cooperation with the process mining tool LANALabs (a spinoff of the HPI) will be conducted. For the project, a real-world healthcare event log and a use case description will be provided. Students will work in groups to explore and analyse the respective healthcare process, and will present their results in a presentation and documentation.
The master lecture "Business Process Analysis in Healthcare" is helpful but it is not necessarily required.
- Standard Books on Process Mining:
- Van Der Aalst, Wil. Process mining: Discovery, Conformance and Enhancement of Business Processes. Vol. 2. Heidelberg: Springer, 2011.
- Dumas et al. Fundamentals of Business Process Management. Vol. 2, Springer. Heidelberg, 2018.
- Process Mining in Healthcare
- Carlo Combi, Giuseppe Pozzi, and Pierangelo Veltri, eds. Process Modeling and Management for Healthcare. CRC Press, 2017.
- Mans, Ronny S., Wil MP Van der Aalst, and Rob JB Vanwersch. Process mining in Healthcare: Evaluating and Exploiting Operational Healthcare Processes. Heidelberg: Springer, 2015.
Lecture and Exercises.
In the project part, the lecture content will be applied in projects (each with a group of four students), in which real-world healthcare event logs are analysed with process mining techniques in LANA Labs Process Mining.
The final evaluation will be based on:
Every Thursday 1.30 - 3.00 pm in H-E.51.
- First lecture: April, 11th 2019
- Presentation of the Project Topics: May, 23rd 2019
- Project Presentation: July, 18/19th 2019
Further news and materials will be published over Moodle.