Information Integration (Wintersemester 2017/2018)
- Weekly Hours: 2
- Credits: 3
- Enrolment Deadline: 9.10.2017
- Teaching Form: Lecture / Exercise
- Enrolment Type: Compulsory Elective Module
Programs & Modules
- OSIS-Konzepte und Methoden
- OSIS-Techniken und Werkzeuge
Imagine you can help decision makers in large organizations by creating a uniform, cleaned, and trusted data set out of their multitude of heterogeneous information sources. This lecture introduces techniques to address this ever-important topic. It covers different architectures, matching and mapping approaches, query processing, and data cleansing. We focus on structured information, but briefly discuss how to deal with textual information sources.
Basic knowledge in the area of database management (DBS I).
- Ulf Leser and Felix Naumann: Informationsintegration, dpunkt Verlag, 2006.
This book is available at the UP library and also, e.g., from Amazon.de.
- Doan, Halevy, and Ives: Principles of data integration, Morgan Kaufmann, 2012.
- Özsu and Valduriez: Principles of distributed database systems, Springer, 2011.
- Stefan Conrad: Föderierte Datenbanksysteme, Springer, 1997.
Throughout the lecture we will refer to various scientific papers, that serve as in-depth references.
Lecture (with exercises included)
A written exam will take place end of semester. A specific date will be set soon. An earlier exam would be possible. Please talk to Dr. Armin Roth if you wish so.
The lecture will take place the week from October 9th - 13th, from 09:15 am - 04:45 pm at Campus III, G-3.E.15/16