Business Process Compliance (Wintersemester 2015/2016)
Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Mathias Weske
(Business Process Technology)
- Weekly Hours: 2
- Credits: 3
- Enrolment Deadline: 23.10.2015
- Teaching Form: Lecture
- Enrolment Type: Compulsory Elective Module
Programs & Modules
In this course we look at the problem of business process compliance.
Generally, business processes describe the working procedures within an organization. Still, organizations have to make sure that working procedures follows certain policies and regulations, i.e., compliance rules. Here, we study how to reason about the compliance of business processes with such compliance rules. We base our reasoning on temporal logic. The following topics are covered in the lecture:
- Modeling Concurrent Systems
- Petri nets
- Kripke structures
- Temporal Logics
- Linear Temporal Logic, LTL
- Computational Tree Logic, CTL
- Model Checking
- General idea of model checking
- LTL: Büchi Automata
- CTL model checking: idea
- Compliance Checking
- BPMN-Q to specify compliance rules
- State space reduction techniques
- Visualization of compliance violations
- Data in compliance checking
- Consistency of Compliance Rules
- Detecting conflicts in rules
- Deriving process templates
Completed Bachelor's studies.
- K. Wolf: Computergestützte Verifikation (HU Berlin / U Rostock)
- Clarke, E.M., Grumberg, O., Peled, D.A.: Model Checking. MIT Press, 1999.
- Baier, C, Katoen, J.-P.: Principles of Model Checking.
- Matthew B. Dwyer, George S. Avrunin, and James C. Corbett. Patterns in property specifications for finite-state verification. In ICSE, pages 411-420, 1999.
- Ahmed Awad, Matthias Weidlich, and Mathias Weske. Specification, Verification and Explanation of Violation for Data Aware Compliance Rules. In ICSOC, pp 500-515, 2009.
- David Knuplesch, Linh Thao Ly, Stefanie Rinderle-Ma, Holger Pfeifer, Peter Dadam: On Enabling Data-Aware Compliance Checking of Business Process Models. ER 2010.
- Ahmed Awad, Rajeev Gore, James Thomson, and Matthias Weidlich. An Iterative Approach for Business Process Template Synthesis from Compliance Rules. In CAISE 2011.
Lecture and Exercises.
Wednesdays, 11:00-12:30, Room: A-2.2