Business Process Compliance (Sommersemester 2021)
Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Mathias Weske
(Business Process Technology)
(Business Process Technology)
- Weekly Hours: 2
- Credits: 3
- Enrolment Deadline: 18.03.2021 - 09.04.2021
- Teaching Form: Lecture
- Enrolment Type: Compulsory Elective Module
- Course Language: English
Programs & Modules
- DICR-Concepts and Methods
- DICR-Technologies and Tools
In this course we look at the problem of business process compliance.
Generally, business processes describe the working procedures within an organization. Still, organizations have to make sure that working procedures follows certain policies and regulations, i.e., compliance rules. Here, we study how to reason about the compliance of business processes with such compliance rules. We base our reasoning on temporal logic.
The following topics are covered in the lecture:
- Modeling Concurrent Systems
- Petri nets
- Kripke structures
- Temporal Logics
- Linear Temporal Logic, LTL
- Computational Tree Logic, CTL
- Model Checking
- General idea of model checking
- LTL: Büchi Automata
- CTL model checking: idea
- Compliance Checking
- BPMN-Q to specify compliance rules
- State space reduction techniques
- Visualization of compliance violations
- Data in compliance checking
- Decision-Aware Compliance Checking
- Consistency of Compliance Rules
- Detecting conflicts in rules
- Deriving process templates
Completed Bachelor's studies.
For students in the digital health program, it is recommended to complete "Business Process Analytics in Healthcare" before enroling in business process compliance.
- K. Wolf: Computergestützte Verifikation (HU Berlin / U Rostock)
- Clarke, E.M., Grumberg, O., Peled, D.A.: Model Checking. MIT Press, 1999.
- Baier, C, Katoen, J.-P.: Principles of Model Checking.
- Matthew B. Dwyer, George S. Avrunin, and James C. Corbett. Patterns in property specifications for finite-state verification. In ICSE, pages 411-420, 1999.
- Ahmed Awad, Matthias Weidlich, and Mathias Weske. Specification, Verification and Explanation of Violation for Data Aware Compliance Rules. In ICSOC, pp 500-515, 2009.
- David Knuplesch, Linh Thao Ly, Stefanie Rinderle-Ma, Holger Pfeifer, Peter Dadam: On Enabling Data-Aware Compliance Checking of Business Process Models. ER 2010.
- Ahmed Awad, Rajeev Gore, James Thomson, and Matthias Weidlich. An Iterative Approach for Business Process Template Synthesis from Compliance Rules. In CAISE 2011.
- Stephan Haarmann, Kimon Batoulis, and Matthias Weske. Compliance Checking for Decision-Aware Business Processes. In BPM 2018 Workshops.
The course will be conducted online in a mixed setting. The lectures will be held asynchronously and uploaded to moodle. For each lecture, small quizzes will be provided to strengthen the understanding.
We will use the time slot for either brief Q&A sessions, or to discuss one of the five ungraded assignments (see schedule below).
Please enrol in the moodle course:
For examination, there will be a (most likely written) final exam.
According to the current planning, there will be live meetings every week in the time slot of the course (Tuesdays, 9:15 to 10:45), either a brief Q&A session or a discussion of an assignment.
|13.04.2021 ||Live Introduction |
|20.04./27.04.2021 ||Live Q&A for recorded lectures (Link in Moodle) |
|04.05.2021 ||Discussion of Assignment 1 |
|11.05./18.05.2021 ||Live Q&A for recorded lectures |
|25.05.2021 ||Discussion of Assignment 2 |
|01.06.2021 ||Live Q&A for recorded lecture |
|08.06.2021 ||Discussion of Assignment 3 |
|15.06./22.06.2021 ||Live Q&A for recorded lectures |
|29.06.2021 ||Discussion of Assignment 4 |
|06.07./13.07.2021 ||Live Q&A for recorded lectures |
|20.07.2021 ||Discussion of Assignment 5 |
|To be announced ||Exam |
Please check the Moodle for the most up-to-date information and schedules.