Management Essentials (Wintersemester 2021/2022)
Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Eric Kearney
(Gastdozenten oder Dozenten der Uni-Potsdam)
- Weekly Hours: 2
- Credits: 3
- Enrolment Deadline: 01.10.2021 - 22.10.2021
- Teaching Form: Lecture
- Enrolment Type: Compulsory Elective Module
- Course Language: English
- Maximum number of participants: 25
Programs & Modules
- Management and Leadership
Informationen im Hinblick auf die aktuelle Corona-Krise: In welchem Format die Veranstaltung im Februar 2022 durchgeführt wird, ist derzeit noch offen. (Stand: 2.9.2021)
This course offers an overview of the main topics of management in organizations such as leadership and motivation, employee satisfaction, personnel selection, training and development, and employee evaluation and compensation. Management knowledge is essential for all those who at some point wish to start their own companies or strive to occupy leadership positions in organizations.
The students learn about the most important aspects of managing people in organizations and how to apply this knowledge to concrete challenges in organizations.
- Knowledge-related competencies: methods in management research; personnel selection; job and work design; training and development; motivation; satisfaction; leadership; stress at work; personnel evaluation; personnel compensation; biases and unfairness in organizations; the future of work.
- Methodological competencies; case study analysis; presentation techniques.
- Social competencies; group work and discussions.
Laloux, Frederic (2014). Reinventing organizations. (recommended, not mandatory)
Lecture; discussions; presentations by students.
The grade will be calculated on the basis of a group presentation (30%) and a written assignment (70%). Both the group presentation and the written assignment will focus on management aspects in organizations that the students select themselves. Further details will be provided at the beginning of the course on February 11th, or - if the course has to have a digital, rather than on-site format - in the second half of January 2022.