Business Process Analysis in Healthcare (Wintersemester 2019/2020)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Mathias Weske
(Business Process Technology)
Dr. Luise Pufahl
(Gastdozenten oder Dozenten der Uni-Potsdam)
(Digital Health - Personalized Medicine)
- Semesterwochenstunden: 2
- ECTS: 3
- Einschreibefrist: 01.10.-30.10.2019
- Lehrform: Vorlesung / Seminar
- Belegungsart: Pflichtmodul
- Lehrsprache: Englisch
Studiengänge, Modulgruppen & Module
Processes are omnipresent in the healthcare domain. Patients, doctors, as well as nursing- and laboratory staff are involved in care pathways, but also supporting processes, such as logistics of drugs, play an important role. Requirements on healthcare providers with regards to quality, efficiency, and profitability grow continuously and require a strong process understanding to identify potentials for process improvements, innovations, and automation.
In this lecture, you will learn process modeling as a technique for the discovery, analysis, improvement, and automation of different healthcare processes (care pathways, standard operating procedures, supporting processes, etc.). We will introduce BPMN (Business Process Model and Notation) - the most widespread process modeling language in industry and research. Further, techniques to analyze and redesign healthcare processes will be presented. Decisions play a crucial role in healthcare, such that DMN (Decision Model and Notation) as a standard for decision modeling and management will be discussed.
The learned techniques in this lecture will be applied in exercises and a modeling and analysis project of a care pathway .
The lecture will consist of the following aspects:
2. Basics of Process Modeling
3. Process Modeling with BPMN
4. Process Analysis and Redesign
5. Decision Management
6. Care Pathway Modeling and Analysis Project
Completed Bachelor's studies.
Standard BPM Books:
- Mathias Weske. Business process management: Concepts, Languages, Architectures. Vol. 2, Springer. Berlin, Heidelberg, 2012.
- Marlon Dumas, Marcello La Rosa, Jan Mendling, and Hajo Reijers. Fundamentals of business process management. Vol. 2, Springer. Heidelberg, 2018.
BPM in Healthcare
- Carlo Combi, Giuseppe Pozzi, and Pierangelo Veltri, eds. Process modeling and management for healthcare. CRC Press, 2017.
- Ronny S. Mans, Wil M.P. van der Aalst, and Rob J.B. Vanwersch. Process mining in healthcare: Evaluating and exploiting operational healthcare processes. Heidelberg: Springer, 2015.
Lern- und Lehrformen
Lecture and Exercises. Additionally, the lecture content will be applied in care pathway modeling and analysis project (executed in groups of 3 students).
The final evaluation will be based on:
Both parts have to be successfully (>4,7) finished for completing the course.
Every Mondays at 1.30 pm in H-E.51.
First lecture on the 14th of October at 1:30 pm in H-E.51
Further news and materials will be published over Moodle.
Presentation of projects on the 3rd of February 2020 at 1:30 - 3:30 pm in H-E.51
Submission of the project reports on the 7th of February 2020 (midnight)
Written exam on the 17th of February 2020 at 1:30 - 3:00 pm in HS 3