Management Essentials (Wintersemester 2022/2023)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Eric Kearney
(Gastdozenten oder Dozenten der Uni-Potsdam)
- Semesterwochenstunden: 2
- ECTS: 3
- Einschreibefrist: 01.10.2022 - 31.10.2022
- Prüfungszeitpunkt §9 (4) BAMA-O: 09.12.2022
- Lehrform: Vorlesung
- Belegungsart: Wahlpflichtmodul
- Lehrsprache: Englisch
- Maximale Teilnehmerzahl: 25
Studiengänge, Modulgruppen & Module
- IT-Systems Engineering
- HPI-MK Management-Kompetenzen
- Professional Skills
- HPI-PSK-ML Management und Leitung
This course offers an overview of the main topics of management in organizations such as leadership and motivation, employee satisfaction, personnel selection, training and development, and employee evaluation and compensation. Management knowledge is essential for all those who at some point wish to start their own companies or strive to occupy leadership positions in organizations.
The students learn about the most important aspects of managing people in organizations and how to apply this knowledge to concrete challenges in organizations.
- Knowledge-related competencies: methods in management research; personnel selection; job and work design; training and development; motivation; satisfaction; leadership; stress at work; personnel evaluation; personnel compensation; biases and unfairness in organizations; the future of work.
- Methodological competencies; case study analysis; presentation techniques.
- Social competencies; group work and discussions.
Laloux, Frederic (2014). Reinventing organizations. (recommended, not mandatory)
Lern- und Lehrformen
Lecture; discussions; presentations by students.
The grade will be calculated on the basis of a group presentation (30%) and a written assignment (70%). Both the group presentation and the written assignment will focus on management aspects in organizations that the students select themselves. Further details will be provided at the beginning of the course on the 11th of November.
11./12. November all groups - Room: HE.51/52
09./10. December Group I - Room: D-Space
13. January/10. February 2023 Group II - Room: K-1.04
Hours: 10:00 to 16:00 on each of the above dates