Management Essentials (Wintersemester 2018/2019)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Eric Kearney
(Gastdozenten oder Dozenten der Uni-Potsdam)
- Semesterwochenstunden: 2
- ECTS: 3
- Einschreibefrist: 26.10.2018
- Lehrform: Vorlesung
- Belegungsart: Wahlpflichtmodul
- Lehrsprache: Deutsch
Studiengänge & Module
This course offers an overview of the main management topics such as strategy, organization, leadership, and human resources. Management knowledge is essential for all those who at some point wish to start their own companies or strive to occupy leadership positions in existing companies. It enables a better understanding of how organizations work and of the role that individuals and teams play in organizations. Aside from the main management topics we will also address currently important issues such as new approaches to leadership, motivation, and teamwork.
The students learn about the most important management functions and how to apply this knowledge to concrete challenges in organizations.
- Knowledge-related competencies: strategy and strategic analyses; organizational structure; organizational culture; organizational change and innovation; individuals in organizations: personality, motivation, and behavior; team work in organizations; leadership; personnel selection; personnel training and development; performance management.
- Methodological competencies: Case study analysis; presentation techniques.
- Social competencies: Group work and discussions.
Griffin, R. W. (2014). Fundamentals of management. Cengage.
Lern- und Lehrformen
Lecture; Group discussion; Presentations by students.
The grade will be calculated on the basis of oral participation (25%) and a group presentation in the second half of the course (75%). These percentages may be changed depending on the number of students. (The more students enroll in the class, the less oral participation will figure into the final grade.) Any such changes will be announced on the first and second day of the course. The overall number of students will also determine the size of the groups that will present their analyses (15-20 min.) of management issues in a specific organization.
- 26/27 October and 9/10 November 2018
- Hours: 10:00 to 16:00 on each of the above dates
- Room number: A 1.2