Management Essentials (Sommersemester 2020)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Eric Kearney
(Gastdozenten oder Dozenten der Uni-Potsdam)
- Semesterwochenstunden: 2
- ECTS: 3
- Einschreibefrist: 6.4.-22.4.2020
- Lehrform: Vorlesung
- Belegungsart: Wahlpflichtmodul
- Lehrsprache: Englisch
- Maximale Teilnehmerzahl: 30
Studiengänge & Module
- Management und Leitung
In the summer semester 2020, this course will consist of multiple videos that will cover all the essential management topics and can be watched by the participants at a time of their choosing. These videos will be uploaded by April 28th. At that time, the participants will be assigned to four-person teams. On Saturday, May 9th, each team will be allocated a 45-minute time slot (sometime between 10:00 and 16:00) to ask questions and discuss the material with the professor via Zoom. On Friday, May 15th, each four-person team is to give a virtual presentation (via Zoom; between 10:00 and 16:00). The team presentation (15-20 min.) is on one or more management aspects in a real-world organization. (There will be a video with more details on the expectations regarding the presentation and the attendant written assignment.)
This course offers an overview of the main management topics such as strategy, organization, leadership, and human resources. Management knowledge is essential for all those who at some point wish to start their own companies or strive to occupy leadership positions in existing companies. It enables a better understanding of how organizations work and of the role that individuals and teams play in organizations. Aside from the main management topics we will also address currently important issues such as new approaches to leadership, motivation, and teamwork.
The students learn about the most important management functions and how to apply this knowledge to concrete challenges in organizations.
- Knowledge-related competencies: strategy and strategic analyses; organizational structure; organizational culture; organizational change and innovation; individuals in organizations: personality, motivation, and behavior; team work in organizations; leadership; personnel selection; personnel training and development; performance management.
- Methodological competencies: Case study analysis; presentation techniques.
- Social competencies: Group work and discussions.
Griffin, R. W. (2018). Fundamentals of management. Cengage. (recommended, not mandatory)
[available in "Soft Skills" Course Reserves in the University Library, Campus Griebnitzsee]
Lern- und Lehrformen
Lecture; Group discussion; Presentations by students.
The grade will be calculated on the basis of a group presentation (40%) and a short written assignment (60%). Both the group presentation and the written assignment will focus on management aspects in organizations that the students select themselves. Further details will be provided in a video that will be uploaded together with the other videos by April 28th.
- April 28-May 9: Watch videos that cover the course content
- May 9: One 45 min. time slot for virtual team meeting with professor via Zoom (sometime between 10:00 and 16:00)
- May 15: One 45 min. time slot for virtual team presentation via Zoom (sometime between 10:00 and 16:00)
- Teams will be assembled by April 28th. On this date, the teams will also be assigned their 45-min. time slots for May 9th and May 15th, respectively.