Internet-Security - Weaknesses and Targets (Wintersemester 2012/2013)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Christoph Meinel
(Internet-Technologien und -Systeme)
Dr. Feng Cheng
- Semesterwochenstunden: 4
- ECTS: 6
- Einschreibefrist: 1.10.2012 - 31.10.2012
- Lehrform: VU
- Belegungsart: Wahlpflichtmodul
Studiengänge & Module
"Internet Security - Weaknesses and Targets" is based on "Internet- & WWW-Technologies" and gives a detailed introduction on problems concerning Internet and Intranet security. After starting with some remarks on risk analysis and computer crimes, security weaknesses and targets are discussed in detail. Beside others the following topics are discussed in detail: human factor and technical failures, attacks on accounts and passwords, attacks on Internet protocol, misuse of design and programming errors, weaknesses in common operating systems, targets in the WWW, and viruses. The lecture course concludes with a discussion about the possibilities to detect attacks and intrusions and also describes ethical issuses.
Online Exercise Registration: There are no printed list-forms on the whiteboards/blackboards for registering the exercise groups. Registration is possible here (only from inside HPI) using your HPI OpenID.
Contents of lecture "Internet- und WWW-Technologien" (esp. protocols) should be present.
Important Notice: We are NOT guiding you for hacking and participation in this seminar could NOT be an excuse for any kinds of your malicious actions towards unauthorized resources over Internet!!!
- Meinel/Sack: Grundlagen der Digitalen Kommunikation
- Meinel/Sack: Internetworking - Technische Grundlagen und Anwendungen
- Tanenbaum: Computer Networks
- Stallings/Brown: Computer Security: Principles and Practice
- Cheswick/Bellovin/Rubin: Firewalls and internet security. Repelling the Wily Hacker
- Kaufman/Perlman/Speciner: Network Security: Private Communication in a Public World
- Egan/Mather: Executive Guide to Information Security: Threats, Challenges, and Solutions
- Stuttard/Pinto: The Web Application Hacker's Handbook - Discovering and Exploiting Security Flaws
- Koziol/Litchfield/Aitel/Anley/Eren/Mehta/Hassel: The Shellcoder's Handbook - Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes
Lern- und Lehrformen
Lecture and exercise: Every week a 90 minutes lecture (in English) is held and streamed by tele-TASK over the internet. Students have to solve and submit their exercises weekly.
50 % of the maximum exercise points (in 1st and 2nd half of semester) are needed to be able to take part in the examination at the end of the semester. In the middle of the semester there will be a written intermediate exam which counts about 1/3. At the end of the course there is a second written exam (counts about 2/3). Students who want to improve their mark can also register for an oral examination. Outstanding exercise results and participation in discussion can lead to a better mark.
- Half-Term: 15:21-16:51,19.12.12, HS11
- Final: 09:00-11:00, 13.02.13, HS1
- Hands-On experiences
- 14.12.12 10:00-11:30/13:00-14:30/15:00-16:30, HE-51
- 01.02.13 09:30-11:30/12:00-14:00/14:30-16:30, HE-51
- Lecture dates:
- Wednesday, 9:00, HS 2
- Due to the official holidays and business trips, there are no Lectures on 24.10.2012, 31.10.2012, 07.11.2012, 05.12.2012, 26.12.2012, 02.01.2013.
- Instead, we add three additional lecture dates: 19.10.2012 (13:00-15:00 in HS2) and 07.12.2012 (09:00-10:30 and 13:00-15:00 in HS2)
- Exercise course dates:
- Special task sheets (optional):
- #1: 19.12.2012
- #2: 14.01.2013
Note: Usually, new exercise assigments (exercise sheets) will be published every wednesday on the lecture management system fb10lehre . Deadline for the submission of the solutions: Wednesday (one week after the publication) 12 o'clock or as specified in the assignment sheets.