Advanced Topics in BPM (Wintersemester 2020/2021)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Mathias Weske
(Business Process Technology)
(Business Process Technology)
- Semesterwochenstunden: 4
- ECTS: 6
- Einschreibefrist: 01.10.-20.11.2020
- Lehrform: Seminar
- Belegungsart: Wahlpflichtmodul
- Lehrsprache: Englisch
- Maximale Teilnehmerzahl: 12
Studiengänge & Module
- BPET-Konzepte und Methoden
- BPET-Techniken und Werkzeuge
- OSIS-Konzepte und Methoden
- OSIS-Techniken und Werkzeuge
This seminar focuses on the state-of-the-art research topics developed at the Business Process Technology (BPT) group. Some of the areas planned to be covered in this seminar are:
- Process Mining. It is used to discover, analyze or improve real processes by considering usually very big and complex event logs. Each event log is extracted by a database or data warehouse.
- Resource Allocation. It considers the problem of assigning the right resource (humans, machines, ect) to the right task in order to better achieve a certain result.
- Fragment Case Management. It is a case modeling paradigm that considers various process fragments. At run-time the knowledge-workers can combine these fragments based on their knowledge and case characteristics.
- Blockchain. The execution of business processes and choreographies using smart contacts in one application of blockchain technology in Business Process Management. Existing approaches neglect the important aspect of time, a crucial part of process and choreography models manifested in deadlines, delays, and other temporal constraints. Therefore, we argue that it is important to introduce a set of time measures available on blockchain platforms.
During this master seminar, after being assigned a research topic, each student (or a group of two) will perform the following tasks:
- Literature review based on the references provided by the supervisor
- Give two presentations in front of BPT group members and other participants (one intermediate and one final presentation)
- Write a research paper based on the assigned topic
- Build a proof of concept prototype (if applicable)
- Participate in all presentation meetings and discussions
What you will learn:
- How to generate research ideas
- How to work in a team
- How to give a scientific presentation
- How to write a research paper
- Overview of some of the advanced topics in the area of Business Process Management (BPM)
This seminar is for master students who are familiar with business process modeling and execution and would like to address research challenges in the field of BPM
The literature will be provided in the kick-off meeting for each topic.
Lern- und Lehrformen
Further details regarding this seminar will be announced in the kick-off meeting, including the concrete topics, registration deadline and other important dates.
The seminar will be graded based on the following structure
- Intermediate presentation
- Final presentation
- Research paper + prototype
Intermediate Presentation: 06.01.2021 at 14:30.
For any question/problem please contact directly: firstname.lastname@example.org