Designing Interactive Devices (Sommersemester 2018)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Patrick Baudisch
In this class, participants learn how to build interactive devices,
as well as the underlying concepts. Students work in teams of two and
each team is given a projector, a Kinect depth camera, a tripod, and an
Arduino electronic kit, among other materials.
In teams of two, participants ...
- build gesture recognizers and touch surfaces using the Kinect depth camera;
- program user interfaces on touch screen smart phones;
- prototype in Hardware using Arduino, sensors, and motors;
- prototype mechanical objects using rapid prototyping tools, such as laser cutters and 3D printers;
- learn the underlying concepts, in particular computer vision;
additional overview lectures on interactive technologies, such as
haptics and actuation, tangible computing, and ubiquitous computing.
the other introductory HCI class, this class teaches the engineering
side of human computer interaction in a hands-on-style. The class is
held in a single 3h block each week. Most of the class uses a "studio
class" format, i.e., extended periods where participants construct
prototypes in class while advised by the teaching team (lecturers and
three teaching assistants).
Students write code in C++ using the
computer vision toolkit OpenCV and the Kinect driver to get depth and
skeleton data. A large part of the implementation work will take place
in class and participants are provided with skeleton code and bootstrap
No prerequisites. This class is independent off our introductory class
on usability ("Designing Interactive Systems"). In contrast, an interest
in building and coding is certainly beneficial.
There will be 60 min midterm exam and a 60 min final exam. In order to
be admitted to the exams, participants need to successfully complete
homework assignments. Students will solve problems in teams of two,
implement a series of prototypes, and present their work in class.
- Semesterwochenstunden : 4
- ECTS : 6
- Benotet :
- Einschreibefrist : 20.04.2018
- Programm : IT-Systems Engineering BA
- Lehrform : V
- Belegungsart : Wahlpflicht
- Maximale Teilnehmerzahl : 24
- Interactive Systeme