Designing Interactive Systems (Sommersemester 2018)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Patrick Baudisch
How would you improve create an interactive systems for blind users? How do you find the best solution and how do you know that it is indeed the best solution? Unlike computers and programs, humans are hard to model. The design of interactive systems is thus different from other areas in computer science in that one has to borrow from design and the empirical sciences. The class consists of two parts that run in parallel: lecture and project
A. Lecture: Every week I will teach one of the basic techniques in usability
- Design: brainstorming, sketching, presentation, design critique, paper prototyping, refinement
- Engineering: rapid prototyping, implementation in QML, C++, Qt
- Evaluation: user-centered design, design patterns, discount usability evaluation, heuristic evaluation, interviews, quantitative user studies.
B. Project: In parallel to the lecture the students will apply what they have learned in a group project. Each week represents a different phase of the project development cycle. You will form teams of 2 students, generate ideas, sketch, gather input from actual users, implement 2-3 ideas a paper prototypes, and finally execute the best idea in actual code in C# in Unity. You will present your prototypes to each other in design critiques and you will iterate and refine based on the feedback you receive. In week 5, two team members per team give the first presentation to the class; at the end, the other two team members present the final outcome including a simple demo. The lecture is taught in English.
This class can be taken after having taken "Building Interactive Devices" or without.
There will be 60 min midterm exam and a 60 min final exam. In order to be admitted to the exams, participants need to successfully complete homework assignments. Students will solve problems in teams of two, implement a series of prototypes, and present their work in class.
- Semesterwochenstunden : 4
- ECTS : 6
- Benotet :
- Einschreibefrist : 20.04.2018
- Programm : IT-Systems Engineering BA
- Lehrform : V
- Belegungsart : Wahlpflicht
- Maximale Teilnehmerzahl : 24
- Interactive Systeme