Information Retrieval (Wintersemester 2008/2009)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Felix Naumann
- Semesterwochenstunden: 2
- ECTS: 3
- Einschreibefrist: 07.11.2008
- Belegungsart: Wahlpflichtmodul
- IT-Systems Engineering MA
In this seminar, we will discuss interesting topics and publications in "Information Retrieval". We will consider XML Information Retrieval that deals with semi-structured and unstructured data, Search and Web IR , Indexing methods, as well as, Information Filtering, Clustering, classification, supervised and unsupervised learning.
The seminar is for Master students. In order to be an active participant in the seminar, we recommend a sufficient background in Database, Data Structures and Algorithms , Linear Algebra, and Probability Theory.
“Introduction to Information Retrieval” , Christopher D. Manning, Prabhakar Raghavan and Hinrich Schütze, Cambridge University Press. 2008. http://www.informationretrieval.org. Additional research papers depending on the topic.
- You are expected to show up in all sessions. If you cannot attend for some reason, let us know per email beforehand.
- Give a talk in English about your topic. You have 45 minutes to explain the topic to your fellow students, who will invest the next 15-minutes to discuss and comment on the topic and the talk.
- Participate actively in all talks. Discussion and challenging questions are highly-encouraged and they affect your final grade.
- Submit a report on your assigned topic. The report should discuss (not summerize) the assigned work/material, showing its strengths and weaknesses, your suggestions and comments.
- Your final grade is affected by your talk, your understanding of the topic (answering the challenging questions!), your report, your participation in the discussion and asking questions and your attendance.
This seminar is organized by: Mohammed AbuJarour, Jens Bleiholder and Alexander Albrecht. Regular meetings will be held weekly on Tuesdays 15:15 – 16:45 in A-2.1. The first organizational meeting will be on Tuesday 21.10.2008.