Trends und Konzepte in der Software-Industrie I (Sommersemester 2010)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Hasso Plattner
(Enterprise Platform and Integration Concepts)
Website zum Kurs:
The focus of this lecture lies in and around enterprise applications:
- Introduction to design thinking and how it can help in the software development process
- Design research overview of activities at HPI and Center for Design Research at Stanford University
- Complexity and characteristics of enterprise applications
- Focus on financial accounting
- How accounting systems were built previously and how they can be built simpler today (e.g. reducing complexity by avoiding materialized aggregates)
- Column-oriented, in-memory databases and compression
- Trends in hardware
- The shift from disk to main-memory
- The CPU / memory boundary as the new bottleneck
- Parallel programming
- Why is it hard to introduce parallelism to business applications?
- Multi-core CPUs and how they change the way we must program
- Deployment options
- On-premise vs. Software-as-a-Service
- Massive parallelism by building a cluster of SMP machines (e.g. blade servers)
- Maintenance of software and interface compatibility
After the lecture the students should be able to see and discuss emerging trends of software engineering and data management in the context of business applications.
If there are any questions regarding the lecture or its contents, please do not hesitate to contact Prof. Plattner, Dr. Zeier, or Anja Bog.
The grade will be determined in an oral examination (90%) and will include your individual involvement in discussions during the lecture (10%). The oral examination contains all topics discussed during the lecture including guest presentations and the literature provided previous to the lecture.
The language of the exam, English or German, can be selected by the examinee. The oral examinations will take place on July 21st and July 26th in V-2.16. Each examination takes 45 minutes and 4 lecture participants are examined together. Concrete assignments to examination slots will be provided at the end of the lecture week.
The block lecture will take place from Mo, July 12th - Th, July 15th, 2010. It takes place in auditorium 3 from 9:15 am till 4:45 pm.
- Semesterwochenstunden : 2
- ECTS : 3
- Benotet :
- Einschreibefrist : 14.05.2010
- Lehrform :
- Belegungsart : Wahl
- IT-Systems Engineering MA