Designing Interactive Systems (Wintersemester 2014/2015)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Patrick Baudisch
How would you improve the iPhone or create a web site for blind users? How do you find the best solution and how do you know that it is indeed the best solution? Unlike computers and programs, humans are hard to model. The design of interactive systems is thus different from other areas in computer science in that one has to borrow from Design and the empirical sciences. The class consists of two parts that run in parallel: lecture and project
A. Lecture: Every week I will teach one of the basic techniques in usability
- Design: brainstorming, sketching, presentation, design critique, paper prototyping, refinement
- Engineering: rapid prototyping, implementierung in QML, C++, Qt
- Evaluation: user-centered design, design patterns, discount usability evaluation, heuristic evaluation, interviews, quantitative user studies.
B. Project: In parallel to the lecture the students will apply what they have learned in a group project. Each week represents a different phase of the project development cycle. You will form teams of 3-4 students, generate ideas, sketch, gather input from actual users, implement 2-3 ideas a paper prototypes, and finally execute the best idea in actual code in C++ under Qt. You will present your prototypes to each other in design critiques and you will iterate and refine based on the feedback you receive. In week 5, two team members per team give the first presentation to the class; at the end, the other two team members present the final outcome including a simple demo. The lecture is taught in English.
2014: all teams will develop projects on the Multitoe interactive floor. To simplify the development process, we will provide an emulator for the floor environment during development and opportunities to test on the actual Multitoe floor throughout the semester; final prototypes will run on the actual Multitoe floor.
Lern- und Lehrformen
Mid term exam in 7th week+/- & final exam at the end of semester. Complete the assignments to be admitted to the exams. Project work in teams of four: prototype, write-up (4 pages), one presentation per team member in German or English
Room: HS 1
Lecture starts in the first week of the semester
- Semesterwochenstunden : 4
- ECTS : 6
- Benotet :
- Einschreibefrist : 24.10.2014
- Programm : IT-Systems Engineering BA
- Lehrform : V
- Belegungsart : Wahlpflicht
- Human Computer Interaction & Computer Graphics Technology
- Software Architecture & Modeling Technology