System Security (Sommersemester 2020)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Christian Dörr
(Cyber Security - Enterprise Security)
- Semesterwochenstunden: 4
- ECTS: 6
- Einschreibefrist: 22.04.2020
- Lehrform: Vorlesung / Übung
- Belegungsart: Pflichtmodul
- Lehrsprache: Englisch
Studiengänge & Module
The systems security covers the security of all layers from the hardware to the operating system, exploring the security problems and solutions at each layer as well as the interplay between the layers. Some problems are due to bugs, others are due to intricate interactions between system components, and some are due to design errors or poor management and maintenance.
The course will cover:
- Malware (polymorphism & packers, Ransom ware, Zero days)
- Counter measures (host based intrusion detection, signature & anomaly based detection)
- Hardware, embedded system and IoT security (tamper resistant hardware, physically unclonable functions, trusted platform module, trusted boot, resource tradeoffs, State of the art attacks on IoT);
- Covert channels (side channel attacks, timing & caches, power, co-tenancy);
- Secure systems engineering (virtualisation, sandboxing, dockerisation)
The course is given by Stjepan Picek and Erik Tews. Lectures will be streamed, and labs can be done remotely.
Lern- und Lehrformen
Lecture and Practical Exercises.
Lab reports and exam at end of course. Successful completion of exercises to be admitted to the exam.
Note: Because the summer term at HPI is not aligned with the 4TU term, this course will run for only 8 weeks.
Labs will take place every week, starting on Thursday 30. April