Strategic Technology Foresight (Sommersemester 2021)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Katharina Hölzle
- Semesterwochenstunden: 4
- ECTS: 6
- Einschreibefrist: 18.03.2021 - 09.04.2021
- Lehrform: Seminar
- Belegungsart: Wahlpflichtmodul
- Lehrsprache: Englisch
- Maximale Teilnehmerzahl: 25
Studiengänge, Modulgruppen & Module
- Professional Skills
- HPI-PSK-RW Recht und Wirtschaft
- Professional Skills
- HPI-PSK-ML Management und Leitung
How can we make informed presumptions about the future, and why is this paramount, more than ever, in present times? This elementary question remains a pressing issue for start-ups, corporates, institutions, and our society to be able to respond to an increasingly volatile environment.
In this course, we will introduce you to the underlying principles of strategic technology foresight. Across the contexts of academia, entrepreneurship, companies, and policy, you will learn to strategically evaluate the disruptive potential of emerging digital technologies by employing state-of-the-art foresight methods.
Following inputs from introductory lectures, hands-on exercises, and presentations from industry experts on foresight practice, you will work in project teams on a selection of innovative technologies developed at HPI throughout this course. You will gain in-depth knowledge for exemplary IT-based foresight tools such as scenario analysis or roadmapping which will enable you to contextualize and complement your data science expertise. By concluding this course, you will be able to understand the relevance and application opportunities of strategic foresight for technologies that will potentially shape our future.
- 7 Virtual Sessions, involving inputs, exercises, and guest speaker presentations
- Supervised project teamwork on a future scenario for technologies developed at HPI
- Deliverables: Two team-based presentations and weekly, brief individual online quizzes
- Teaching Team: Prof. Dr. Katharina Hölzle, Dr. Robert Rose, Valeska Maul, Nina Bachmann
- Adegbile, A., Sarpong, D., & Meissner, D. (2017). Strategic foresight for innovation management: A review and research agenda. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, 14(04), 1750019. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219877017500195
- Fergnani, A. (2020). Corporate foresight: A new frontier for strategy and management. Academy of Management Perspectives, amp.2018.0178. https://doi.org/10.5465/amp.2018.0178
- Gordon, A. V., Ramic, M., Rohrbeck, R., & Spaniol, M. J. (2020). 50 Years of corporate and organizational foresight: Looking back and going forward. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 154(February), 119966. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2020.119966
- Iden, J., Methlie, L. B., & Christensen, G. E. (2017). The nature of strategic foresight research: A systematic literature review. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 116, 87–97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2016.11.002
Lern- und Lehrformen
3 ECTS ('Strategic Technology Foresight I')
- Individual Deliverable (50 %): Weekly Quiz (Moodle)
- Team-based Deliverable (50 %): Paper Team (Presentation)
6 ECTS ('Strategic Technology Foresight II')
- Individual Deliverable (25 %): Weekly Quiz (Moodle)
- Team-based Deliverable (75 %): Paper Team (25 %, Presentation), Project Team (50 %, Report, Presentation)
Note: The course can be credited in the modules 'SCAD' and 'DICS' in the master program 'Digital Health'.
- Session 1 – 12.04.
- Session 2 – 19.04.
- Session 3 – 26.04.
- Session 4 – 03.05.
- Session 5 – 10.05.
- Session 6 – 17.05.
- Session 7 – 07.06.