Business Process Management in Digital Health (Sommersemester 2021)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Mathias Weske
(Business Process Technology)
(Business Process Technology)
- Semesterwochenstunden: 4
- ECTS: 6
- Einschreibefrist: 18.03.2021 - 09.04.2021
- Lehrform: Vorlesung / Seminar
- Belegungsart: Pflichtmodul
- Lehrsprache: Englisch
Studiengänge & Module
Processes are omnipresent in the healthcare domain. Patients, doctors, as well as nursing- and laboratory staff are involved in care pathways, but also supporting processes, such as logistics of drugs, play an important role. Requirements on healthcare providers with regards to quality, efficiency, and profitability grow continuously and require a strong process understanding to identify potentials for process improvements, innovations, and automation.
In this lecture, you will learn process modeling as a technique for the discovery, analysis, improvement, and automation of different healthcare processes (care pathways, standard operating procedures, supporting processes, etc.). We will introduce BPMN (Business Process Model and Notation) - the most widespread process modeling language in industry and research. Further, techniques to analyze and redesign healthcare processes will be presented.
As decisions play a crucial role in healthcare, DMN (Decision Model and Notation) as a standard for decision modeling and management will be discussed.
The learned techniques in this lecture will be applied in exercises.
The lecture will consist of the following aspects:
2. Basics of Process Modeling
3. Process Modeling with BPMN
4. Process Analysis and Redesign
5. Decision Management
6. Care Pathway Modeling and Analysis Project
Completed Bachelor's studies.
Standard BPM Books:
- Mathias Weske. Business process management: Concepts, Languages, Architectures. Vol. 3, Springer. Berlin, Heidelberg, 2019.
- Marlon Dumas, Marcello La Rosa, Jan Mendling, and Hajo Reijers. Fundamentals of business process management. Vol. 2, Springer. Heidelberg, 2018.
BPM in Healthcare
- Carlo Combi, Giuseppe Pozzi, and Pierangelo Veltri, eds. Process modeling and management for healthcare. CRC Press, 2017.
- Ronny S. Mans, Wil M.P. van der Aalst, and Rob J.B. Vanwersch. Process mining in healthcare: Evaluating and exploiting operational healthcare processes. Heidelberg: Springer, 2015.
- Remy S., Pufahl L., Sachs J.P., Böttinger E., Weske M. Event Log Generation in a Health System: A Case Study. In: Business Process Management. BPM 2020. LNCS, vol 12168. Springer, 2020.
Lern- und Lehrformen
Lecture and exercises will be conducted online in a mixed setting. Additionally, the lecture content will be applied in care pathway modeling and analysis project.
Lecture slides and additional materials will be published via Moodle: BPMiDH2021 (Please find the password in the internal area/materials folder of the chair).
The final evaluation will be based on:
- Care Pathway Modeling and Analysis Project 15% (Report)
- Written exam 85%
Both parts have to be successfully finished for completing the course.
First session: 12.04.2021
Please find the details for the first session in the internal area/materials folder of the chair and in the Moodle (please see the section above).