21st Century Health Care Businesses: Regulatory, Legal, and Public Policy Aspects (Sommersemester 2021)
Dozent: Guest Professor Ariel D Stern
(Digital Health - Personalized Medicine)
- Semesterwochenstunden: 2
- ECTS: 3
- Einschreibefrist: 18.03.2021 - 09.04.2021
- Lehrform: Seminar
- Belegungsart: Pflichtmodul
- Lehrsprache: Englisch
- Maximale Teilnehmerzahl: 30
Studiengänge & Module
This course will provide an overview of key issues for those interested in working in, launching, studying, and collaborating with modern health care companies, such as those creating or supporting precision medicines, digital health applications, medical software, and novel health care delivery models. The course will provide insight into the regulatory, legal, and public policy frameworks that impact such businesses and discuss how institutions influence innovation and entrepreneurship in health care.
A week-by-week outline of course topics is included below.
Lern- und Lehrformen
The course will consist of a mix of lectures, guest lectures, and (case) discussions. Participation will be a component of the course evaluation, so real-time attendance is strongly encouraged. It is expected that the entire course will take place via Zoom during the summer semester of 2021. In addition, Prof. Stern plans offer “outdoor office hours” in the second half of the semester (conditional on the weather and the evolving public health situation), to provide opportunities for safe, in-person discussion and interaction.
Students enrolled in this course will be evaluated on the following components:
- Participation during in-class discussions (20%)
- Small group presentation (“in the news” – deep dive into one current topic or business), during May, June, and July (30%)
- DiGA (digital health application) study design exercise participation (to be completed in-class in June) (10%)
- Final examination; multiple choice and short answer questions (40%)
First lecture 04/13/2021
Final Exam 07/27/21, 11am
Materials and zoom links will be provided in the openHPI course room.
Access to the openHPI course room will be sent by email to all registered participants before the course starts (Monday).
Latecomers please contact jasmin.cirillo(at)hpi.de