Dealing with Uncertainty (Sommersemester 2022)
Dozent: Christoph Burger
(Gastdozenten oder Dozenten der Uni-Potsdam)
- Semesterwochenstunden: 2
- ECTS: 3
- Einschreibefrist: 01.04.2022 - 30.04.2022
- Prüfungszeitpunkt §9 (4) BAMA-O: 24.09.2022
- Lehrform: Blockseminar
- Belegungsart: Wahlpflichtmodul
- Lehrsprache: Englisch
- Maximale Teilnehmerzahl: 30
Studiengänge, Modulgruppen & Module
- Professional Skills
- Professional Skills
- HPI-PSK-ML Management und Leitung
Digital transformation, internationalization, increasing competition, faster product cycles become a paradigm in today’s world. With these trends, uncertainty is increasing in all aspects of our life. How can we deal with this when making decisions or when negotiating?
This course aims to equip you with tools to deal with uncertainty in the field of decision making and negotiations to cope with uncertainty.
- Understanding key elements of a good decision
- Framework for debiasing
- Process to combine rationality and intuition
- Options and hurdles when implementing evidence-based decisions into leadership culture
- Preparing negotiations
- Using and developing negotiation styles
- Achieving win-win negotiations
Lern- und Lehrformen
The teaching methods consist of input sessions, exercises, case studies and allow students to test and develop their behavior. Participants will run through different exercises to develop their own personal decision making and negotiation guide. The sessions are setup in a way that you can experiment and learn while doing so.
Participant evaluation will consist of two parts:
Group assignment (60%) You will be randomly put in groups where you can choose one of the following topics for your class presentation:
- Please record your decisions for a week and try to cluster them depending on kind of decisions and decision methods used. What learnings can you deduct?
- Please take a public decision and analyze it according to the concepts introduced in class. What learnings can you deduct?
- Please experiment with negotiation styles and record your results. What learnings can you deduct?
- Please analyze the negotiation styles of people you deal with and come up with strategies to cope with them.
Individual written documentation (40 %) of the group presentation (1 Word page)
Block 1 (29.08.2022 9 am – 5 pm)
Block 2 (30.08. 2022 9 am – 5 pm)
Block 3 (03.09.2022. 9 am – 5 pm)
Block 4 (24.09. Prüfung 9 – 12 am)
o Participant presentations on decision making and negotiations assignments