Business Process Analysis in Healthcare (Wintersemester 2018/2019)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Mathias Weske
(Business Process Technology)
Dr. Luise Pufahl
(Gastdozenten oder Dozenten der Uni-Potsdam)
(Digital Health - Personalized Medicine)
- Semesterwochenstunden: 2
- ECTS: 3
- Einschreibefrist: 26.10.2018
- Lehrform: Vorlesung / Seminar
- Belegungsart: Pflichtmodul
- Lehrsprache: Englisch
Studiengänge & Module
Processes are omnipresent in the healthcare domain. Patients, doctors, as well as nursing- and laboratory staff are involved in care pathways, but also supporting processes, such as logistics of drugs, play an important role. Requirements on healthcare providers with regards to quality, efficiency, and profitability grow continously and require a strong process understanding to identify potentials for process improvements, innovations, and automation.
In this lecture, you will learn process modeling as a technique for the discovery, analysis, improvement, and automation of different healthcare processes (care pathways, standard operating procedures, supporting processes, etc.). We will introduce BPMN (Business Process Model and Notation) - the most widespreaded process modeling language in industry and research. Further, techniques to analyze and redesign processes will be presented. Decisions play a crutial role in healthcare such that DMN (Decision Model and Notation) as a standard for decision modeling and management wil be discussed.
The learned techniques in this lecture will be applied in exercises and a project. The project taking place in the second half of the semester allows to elicitate a real-world healthcare process in a small project team together with healthcare practitioners. As the course is provided in the context of potentials for digital technologies in the healthcare sector, the project has the goal to identify potentials for process improvement and innovation.
The lecture will consist of the following aspects:
2. Basics of Process Modeling
3. Process Modeling with BPMN
4. Process Analysis and Redesign
5. Decision Management
6. Healthcare Process Redesign Project
- 1. Step: Process discovery in workshops/interviews
- 2. Step: Process analysis and developing of process improvement and innovation proposals
Completed Bachelor's studies.
Standard BPM Books:
- Mathias Weske. Business process management: Concepts, Languages, Architectures. Vol. 2, Springer. Berlin, Heidelberg, 2012.
- Marlon Dumas, Marcello La Rosa, Jan Mendling, and Hajo Reijers. Fundamentals of business process management. Vol. 2, Springer. Heidelberg, 2018.
BPM in Healthcare
- Carlo Combi, Giuseppe Pozzi, and Pierangelo Veltri, eds. Process modeling and management for healthcare. CRC Press, 2017.
- Ronny S. Mans, Wil M.P. van der Aalst, and Rob J.B. Vanwersch. Process mining in healthcare: Evaluating and exploiting operational healthcare processes. Heidelberg: Springer, 2015.
Lern- und Lehrformen
Lecture and Exercises. Additionally, the lecture content will be applied in projects (each with group of 3 student) in which real-world healthcare processes are elicitated and analyzed together with practicioners.
The final evaluation will be based on:
Every Monday 1.30 - 3.00 pm in H-E.51.
First lecture: 15.10.
Further news and materials will be published over Moodle.