The Algorithm Engineering group at the Hasso Plattner Institute (HPI) invites applications for a
PhD Position in Computability Theory
associated with the DFG-financed research project headed "Structure of Computational Learning" by Dr. Timo Kötzing in the area of Computational Learning Theory. The goal is to understand what general limits apply to algorithmic learning, for example learning of natural languages. We approach this goal by applying core theorems from computability theory (such as recursion theorems) to different learning settings.
The position is embedded in the Algorithm Engineering group headed by Prof. Dr. Tobias Friedrich at the HPI. The institute is a unique research and teaching institute in Germany, which was founded in 1999 as an institute of the University of Potsdam. The HPI carries out internationally acclaimed research and offers innovative academic majors in the field of IT Systems Engineering. The institute provides a vibrant scientific environment at the beautiful Campus Griebnitzsee, which is located at the border to Berlin.
What we offer:
- Inspiring Research Environment;
- Guidance by experienced mentors;
- Demonstration of relevant methods;
- Close collaboration with other scientists;
- The possibility to obtain a PhD from the University of Potsdam;
- A competitive stipend throughout the Ph.D. studies;
- A generous travel allowance;
- Modern work space in Potsdam-Babelsberg;
- Integration into an international group of researchers;
- Flexible starting date.
What we expect:
- An excellent master's degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Mathematics or a related discipline;
- Enthusiasm for mathematical problems and scientific work;
- Enjoying teamwork and collaboration;
- A desire to obtain a Ph.D. degree within 3-4 years;
- Interest in the topic of computability theory.
Applications should include a detailed CV, a copy of master's thesis and a list of courses and grades. Please also mention names and contact details of one or two references -- preferably one from the master's thesis adviser.
Interested candidates should direct their questions to Timo Kötzing (timo.koetzing(at)hpi.de). Applications must be sent via email, preferably as a single PDF, to jobs-friedrich(at)hpi.de by February 28, 2017.