To ensure an orderly research and teaching operation, the management of Hasso-Plattner-Institut für Digital Engineering gGmbH has adopted the following House Rules. All persons who are on the premises of the Hasso Plattner Institute campus (or the other campuses) are obliged to comply with these regulations.
§ 1 Premises Regulations
(1) The Property Authority is the Hasso-Plattner-Institut für Digital Engineering gGmbH (in the following: HPI). The House Regulations are implemented by the Managing Directors (each individually) and by those persons authorized to enforce property rights.
(2) The following employees are authorized by the Managing Directors to enforce property rights:
1. staff members who are granted general authority by the Managing Directors,
2. faculty Members in the classrooms where they teach and in their offices, and
3. heads of department in their respective areas of responsibility.
(3) The Managing Directors, as well as those persons authorized to enforce the House Regulations, are represented under the general provisions.
(4) The authority to file criminal charges for trespassing rests with the Managing Directors.
§ 2 Opening Hours
(1) The HPI buildings are open at the following times:
Monday – Friday: 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
(2) Any deviations from these times will be posted in the main entrance area.
(3) Everyone is requested to leave the buildings at the end of the opening hours. They have to obey any instructions from the security personnel.
(3) Outside of the opening hours, the buildings are guarded by security personnel and secured by an alarm system. In the event that a false alarm is triggered, the responsible party must bear any resulting costs.
(4) In exceptional circumstances, it is possible to request from the FM team an extension of the hours of the security personnel. An application to this effect must be made at least 7 days before the concerned event takes place.
§ 3 Right of Access
(1) Access inside the buildings is only granted to HPI employees and students of the Digital Engineering Faculty and their families, as well as those who have been given access for business and informational reasons.
(2) Employees must register their guests and visitors in advance at the reception desk in the main building.
§ 4 Transponders and keys
The loss of a transponder or key must be reported immediately to the Facility Management Team under FM(at)hpi.de or at their extension 555.
§ 5 Room Administration
Lecture halls and classrooms may not be used without previous arrangements having been made with the responsible Staff Member, and then only for the requested purpose.
Please ask for the responsible person at Reception.
§ 6 Building Safety and Order
(1) All users of the building are to conduct themselves in a manner that does not disturb others.
(2) The instructions of the Administration are to be adhered to in particular with respect to maintaining order, which includes cleanliness, quiet, and security.
(3) Attention is to be paid to cleanliness in all of the rooms, halls and stairwells. Trash is to be placed in the containers provided.
(4) Smoking is not permitted in the buildings.
(5) Eating and drinking is not permitted in rooms with technical equipment (e.g. seminar rooms, pool rooms).
(6) Windows may only be opened if they can be secured, e.g. by presence. Upon leaving a room last, and in the case of rain, storms, and snowfall windows must be closed. The blinds in the rooms on the ground floor are to be lowered by those who leave the room last.
(7) The respective user (or in the case of events, the event manager) is responsible for closing up the rooms upon leaving. This includes turning off the lights (in the lecture halls also the media equipment), closing the cupboards, desks, and windows.
(8) All employees are obliged to work in such a way as to prevent damage of any kind, particularly that resulting from fire, theft, or property damage, and to ensure that technical equipment is used properly. HPI is not liable for private valuables or other personnel belonging kept in the HPI rooms.
(9) In case of theft or the occurrence of any damages, the Facility Management team is to be notified immediately under FM(at)hpi.de or at their extension 555.
(10) The fire safety regulations in place at HPI must be observed. You can find the fire safety regulations on the HPI website. The fire safety engineer is Mr. Edgar Volkmar (email@example.com).
(11) A winter maintenance service has been commissioned to take care of snow clearance and the treatment of icy surfaces. The traffic routes are to be used carefully according to the circumstances.
§ 7 Activities Requiring Authorization and Prohibited Activities
(1) On the premises of HPI the permission of the Administration is required for:
1. the display of announcements and posters,
2. the distribution of flyers,
3. the organization of meetings and election events,
4. the placement of information and sales booths, as well as the execution of actions related to the sale of goods and collection of orders,
5. the use of lecture halls and other rooms for events other than those of HPI.
(2) The displaying of announcements and posters is only permitted on areas expressly designed for that purpose.
(3) The taking of photographs and filming in HPI buildings and on the premises is principally only allowed when permission is granted by the Management.
(4) Any activity that is politically affiliated or religious in nature is only allowed on the HPI premises in exceptional cases, and then only with the express permission of Management.
§ 8 Bicycles
(1) It is not permitted to bring bicycles inside of the building. Bicycles are to be parked in specially designated areas or in the bicycle shed behind the lecture halls on Campus I. Parking bicycles inside buildings, in front of them, or in their entrances is not allowed; escape paths and fire department access routes must be kept clear at all times.
(2) Improperly parked bicycles, or those that can be clearly identified as discarded, will be removed at the owner’s expense. Damage to bicycles or to security devices, caused by their removal, is not unlawful and accordingly there is no liability for damages. A removed bicycle is held for a period of four weeks by HPI and issued to the person who can substantiate ownership. After expiration of the four-week period, a bicycle that has been seized will be disposed of or utilized.
§ 9 Sports Areas and Barbeque
(1) The sports areas are only open to HPI employees and students of the Digital Engineering Faculty and their families, guests, and visitors. The sports areas can be used at any time, with precedence given to HPI sporting events. Equipment is available in the sports equipment building. A key, which must be signed out, is available at the Reception. The Regulations for the use of the sports fields at HPI, displayed in the sports equipment building, must be observed.
(2) Noise nuisance must be avoided during quiet hours - from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. on weekdays and all day on Sundays and holidays. Noise development outside these quiet hours shall be kept to a minimum.
(3) The barbeque is available for use and must be left in clean condition (including the barbeque grill). It is absolutely necessary to ensure that the charcoal has been completely extinguished before leaving the area.
§ 10 Lost Property
Any found property is to be turned in to Reception. It is then held by HPI for a period of eight weeks or given to the person who can substantiate ownership or legal possession. After expiration of the eight-week period, the found item may be disposed of or utilized.
§ 11 Traffic Regulations
(1) Road traffic regulations apply on the premises of HPI. The maximum speed for vehicles of all types is 10 km per hour.
(2) Drivers are to use the main parking lot located behind the lecture halls on Campus I - with entry from Prof.-Dr.-Helmert-Straße, Campus II – with entry from Stahnsdorfer Straße and Campus III – with entry from Rudolf-Breitscheid-Straße. The parking lot at Campus I with entry from Stahnsdorfer Straße is not located on the HPI premises.
(3) The parking lots of HPI are not guarded. HPI is in particular not liable for objects in the parked vehicles.
§ 12 Infringement Measures
Violations against these House Regulations may result in permanent dismissal from the premises. In case of a serious violation, criminal charges will be brought.