Do I need to have my business idea before the Future Builder Program?
You can bring you own idea according the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) but we will also invite partners to work together with you and their challenges.
What are the criteria if I want to bring my own Wild Card Idea?
The submitted wild card idea must meet the following criteria:
- It must target one or more of the 17 SDGs with a concrete indication of which of the SDG areas is covered.
- The problem must affect a larger amount of people / companies (There must be the possibility to conduct sufficient interviews).
- The problem must enable solution approaches that can be implemented as a digital business model
- It must be possible to create a business model and prototype within 12 weeks
- The issue must be solvable with a technology that can be implemented today
- Relevance: the problem should already be roughly quantified = how much damage/cost it is currently causing
Further relevant information:
- Does it tend to be more of a B2B or B2C business model?
- Have parts of the problem already been validated?
- Does a solution approach(es) already exist?
- Maturity level: The idea should be in the early stages of problem identification (rough problem definition known, at most initial solution approaches known, no concrete realization/implementation yet)
Who are the partnering companies for the challenges?
The partners will be mainly larger companies from various industries with an SDG-related challenge. Your idea remains independent from their operational business but they support you as mentor for this project.
What is the expected outcome?
We expect a working prototype of your business idea in the end plus a pitch presentation during Market Day after 5 weeks and a final pitch in front of an expert jury during Launch Day after 13 weeks.
Do I need to have my team members in advance?
We expect mixed teams of 2 HHL and 2 HPI students. The final groups will be built during the kick-off on 26th March.
Do I have to be vaccinated?
Yes, with a booster as well. Additional testing is required for on-site events.
What if there is still a lock-down during the kick-off?
We will be able to run the sessions in a hybrid format if the lockdown prevents us from physical meetings.
Do I have to be in Potsdam or Leipzig during the seminar?
We encourage teams to use our physical facilities in Potsdam and Leipzig for regular check-ins. The teams decide how they arrange coping with the workload and coaching sessions. If you are not in Leipzig or Potsdam at all during the three months, we cannot accept you for the program as at least the Kick-off, Market Day and Launch Day are planned with onsite presence. Regular input sessions will be offered in a hybrid format throughout the course.
Are the weekly input sessions during the program (90 min) mandatory?
Yes, if you cannot attend due to severe reasons please talk to your program manager.
What if we want to change our business idea during the course?
Pivots are possible but the presentation during Market Day and Launch Day count for your final assessment already.
Who will be grading the final project?
Professors and research associates from HHL and HPI will assess your work with their grading criteria according to the requirements of the module.