Postdoc and Ph.D. Student (m/f)
The Algorithm Engineering group at the Hasso Plattner Institute (HPI) invites applications for a
Postdoctoral Researcher in Algorithms
PhD student in Algorithms.
The HPI is a unique research and teaching institute in Germany, which was founded in 1999 as an institute of the University of Potsdam. HPI carries out internationally acclaimed research and offers innovative academic majors in the field of IT Systems Engineering. The institute offers a vibrant scientific environment at the beautiful Campus Griebnitzsee, which is located at the border to Berlin.
Applicants should have a theoretical/mathematical background and an interest in at least one of the following topics:
- Random structures and algorithms
- Models of scale-free networks and propositional satisfiability
- Theory of evolutionary algorithms and swarm intelligence
- Heuristic and mathematical optimization
What we offer:
- Inspiring research environment
- Close collaboration with other scientists
- Generous travel allowance
- Modern work space in Potsdam-Babelsberg
- Integration into an international group of researchers
- Flexible starting date
- Possibility to teach, but not mandatory
- Ph.D. students are guided by experienced mentors
- Postdocs are free to pursue their own research within the scope of the group
- Ph.D. students receive a competitive stipend
- Postdocs receive a two-year contract with the possibility of extension
What we expect:
- An excellent master's degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Mathematics or a related discipline
- Enthusiasm for mathematical problems and scientific work
- Enjoying teamwork and collaboration
- PhD student applicants should have a desire to obtain a PhD within 3-4 years
- Postdoctoral researchers from other fields of theoretical computer science and discrete mathematics may apply as well, but should provide a one-page motivation letter detailing how they fit in the research profile of the group.
- All applications should include a detailed CV, a copy of the (Master or PhD) thesis and a list of courses and grades.
- Please also mention names and contact details of one or two references -- preferably one from your thesis adviser.
- Interested candidates should direct their questions to Tobias Friedrich.
- Applications must be sent via email, preferably as a single PDF, to jobs-friedrich(at)hpi.de by February 18, 2018