Prof. Dr. Tilmann Rabl , Lawrence Benson , Ilin Tolovski
The amount of data that can be generated and stored in academic and industrial projects and applications is increasing rapidly. Big data analytics technologies have established themselves as a solution for big data challenges to the scalability problems of traditional database systems. The vast amounts of new data that is collected, however, usually is not as easily analyzed as curated, structured data in a data warehouse is. Typically, these data are noisy, of varying format and velocity, and need to be analyzed with techniques from statistics and machine learning rather than pure SQL-like aggregations and drill-downs. Moreover, the results of the analyzes frequently are models that are used for decision making and prediction. The complete process of big data analysis is described as a pipeline, which includes data recording, cleaning,
In this lecture, we will discuss big data systems, ie, infrastructures that are used to handle all steps in typical big data processing pipelines.
- Principles of Distributed Database Systems , M. Tamer Özsu and P. Valduriez, 2011, 978-1441988331
- Distributed Systems , Maarten van Steen and Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 2017, 978-1543057386
- Streaming Systems , T. Akidau, S. Chernyak, R. Lax, 2018, 978-1-491-98387-4
- Designing Data-Intensive Applications , M. Kleppmann, 2017, 978-1449373320
- Course management will be done using the HPI Moodle
- The lectures will be held on-site at HPI
- Non-HPI participants : please send us an email to get access to the Moodle
- All lectures are recorded and available in Tele-Task
The grade will be determined in exercises and an exam. The time and location of the exam will be anounced at least 6 weeks in advance. The prerequisite for admission to the exam is the successful completion of the exercises. In case of low participation, the exam might be replaced by an oral examination.
The grade breakdown is as follows:
- 3 graded programming exercies sheets (50 +% in each for exam eligibility)
- Final Exam (100% of the grade)