Tele-Teaching Lecture for Beijing University of Technology
Winter Semester 2009/10
"Internet Security - Weaknesses and Targets" gives a detailed introduction on problems concerning Internet and Intranet security. After starting with some remarks on risk analysis and computer crimes, security weaknesses and targets are discussed in detail. Besides, more introductions are provided on: human factor and technical failures, attacks on accounts and passwords, attacks on Internet protocol, misuse of design and programming errors, weaknesses in common operating systems, targets in the WWW, and viruses. The lecture concludes with the discussion on possibilities to detect attacks and intrusions and ethical issuses are introduced as well.
Every week a 90 minutes lecture (in english) is streamed over the internet. There will be two practical hands-on exercises including reconnaisance, analysis, and practical attack of a prepared victim network. In the middle of the semester, there will be a written intermediate exam. At the end of the course there is an oral exam to evaluate each student.
Date: Friday, 8:30 - 10:00 (Beijing Time)
Plan (last update: 01.01.2010):
- 11.09.2009 Internet Security: An Overview [LINK]
- 18.09.2009 First Understanding of Internet and WWW [LINK]
- 25.09.2009 Risk Analysis [LINK]
- 02.10.2009 Happy 60th Birthday to China!!!
- Cyber Crime: Criminals and Motives [LINK]
- Hackers and Viruse [LINK]
- 12.10.2009 First Task Distribution (Per Email)
- Human Factor and Technical Failures [LINK]
- (Online) Reconnaissance [LINK]
- OS Fingerprinting [LINK]
- Attacks on Accounts and Passwords [LINK]
- 30.10.2009 Weaknesses of Internet Protocols (1) [LINK]
- 06.11.2009 Weaknesses of Internet Protocols (2) [LINK]
- 13.11.2009 Design and Programming Errors [LINK]
- 20.11.2009 Weaknesses in Unix/Linux [LINK]
- 27.11.2009 Weaknesses in Windows and Mac OS X [LINK]
- Weaknesses in the World Wide Web (1) [LINK]
- Weaknesses in the World Wide Web (2) [LINK]
- 11.12.2009 Wireless Security [LINK]
- 11.12.2009 Second Task Distribution (Onsite!!!)
- 18.12.2009 Detection of Attacks and Intrusions [LINK]
- 25.12.2009 Legal and Ethical Issues in Internet Security [LINK]
- 01.01.2010 Happy New Year !!!
- 08.01.2010 Discussion Seminar: Two Tasks
Onsite Q&A and Oral Examination
The second week in April 2010
Online Lectures (update on every Friday)