Network Security in Practice (Wintersemester 2019/2020)
Lecturer: Dr. Feng Cheng
(Internet-Technologien und -Systeme)
- Weekly Hours: 4
- Credits: 6
- Enrolment Deadline: 01.10.-25.10.2019
- Teaching Form: Seminar / Project
- Enrolment Type: Compulsory Elective Module
- Course Language: English
- Maximum number of participants: 12
Programs & Modules
- HDAS-Concepts and Methods
- HDAS-Technologies and Methods
Nowadays security issues of modern IT infrastructures, devices, and applications have been more and more frequently shown as the headlines of news or reports on the media. Billions of money has been invested every year for researching, developing, and deploying security solutions. The goal of this seminar is to investigate in a deeper manner how the security issues look like and how the security approaches work in practices. Students are expected to work in a small team with up to 2 members on 1-2 topics selected from (but not limited to) the following list
- Threat Intelligence for Security Analytics
- IoT Security: Home Automation, Vehicle, ...
- Security of Mobile OSes and Apps
- Web Security: SSL/TLS, Web Application Firewall (WAF), ...
- Password Security and new Authentication Methods
- Email Security: Signature, Encryption, Spamming, Phishing, ...
- Security Architecture: Virtualization, Containerization, and Cloud Automation
- SSH Tunneling and Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Network Scanning and Monitoring
- Complex Attacks and APT
- The topic proposed by you
- Basic knowledge but great interest in new networking and security technologies
- Satisfied hands-on skills and engineering capabilities
- Presentation (with demonstration) and technical report
- 14.10.2019 10:15am Introductory Session, H-2.57 (Due to the time conflict with the HPI WS19/20 Assembly, we start the first session a little bit later on the same day! Please kindly come to the seminar room as soon as Prof.Meinel finishes his talk on the annual Assembly)
==> Thank you for coming to the 1. session, drop me a line if you need the slides-deck!
- 25.10.2019: Subscription Deadline: Topic Selection and Team Building
- CW 44 (28.10.-01.11.): Topic Introduction and Assignment (Individual Meeting)
- The detailed plan/instructions are available on the Seminar Gitlab (invitation-only access)