Process Mining in Digital Health (Sommersemester 2020)
Dozent: Prof. Dr. Mathias Weske
(Business Process Technology)
Dr. Luise Pufahl
(Gastdozenten oder Dozenten der Uni-Potsdam)
- Semesterwochenstunden: 2
- ECTS: 3
- Einschreibefrist: 06.04.2020 - 22.04.2020
- Lehrform: Vorlesung
- Belegungsart: Pflichtmodul
- Lehrsprache: Englisch
Studiengänge & Module
Process Mining is a young and emerging discipline which allows getting insights into the nature of business processes based on the real behavior, recorded in information systems and then stored in a process event logs. Also in the healthcare domain, process mining techniques are more and more applied to exploit operational healthcare processes and to suggest improvements. Process mining provides three main operations: (1) process discovery to elicit a process model from an event log, (2) process enhancement to attach additional information to the process model, such as performance information, and (3) process conformance to compare a designed process model with the discovered one.
In this lecture, the three main process mining operations will be introduced and basic algorithms will be explained, whereby also advantages/challenges for the healthcare sector will be discussed. It will be presented how a process mining project should be conducted in the healthcare sector and which data sources can be used. The last block of the lecture is dedicated for a process mining lab, where the students have the possibility to solve typical process mining tasks with different academic and commercial tools.
The master lecture "Business Process Analysis in Healthcare" is helpful but it is not necessarily required.
- Standard Books on Process Mining:
- Van Der Aalst, Wil. Process mining: Discovery, Conformance and Enhancement of Business Processes. Vol. 2. Heidelberg: Springer, 2011.
- Carmona, J., van Dongen, B., Solti, A., & Weidlich, M. (2018). Conformance Checking. Springer, Cham.
- Dumas, M., La Rosa, M., Mendling, J., & Reijers, H. A. (2013). Fundamentals of business process management (Vol. 1, p. 2). Heidelberg: Springer.
- Process Mining in Healthcare
- Carlo Combi, Giuseppe Pozzi, and Pierangelo Veltri, eds. Process Modeling and Management for Healthcare. CRC Press, 2017.
- Mans, Ronny S., Wil MP Van der Aalst, and Rob JB Vanwersch. Process mining in Healthcare: Evaluating and Exploiting Operational Healthcare Processes. Heidelberg: Springer, 2015.
Lern- und Lehrformen
Lecture, Assignments, and a Process Mining Lab.
The final evaluation will be based on a written exam.
In the face of the university's measures due to the spread of the Coronavirus, the course will be conducted online in the Moodle of the University of Potsdam.
In this course, self-made and professional videos from MOOC platforms, podcasts, and reading material will be provided as a substitution for in-person lectures. Additionally, small quizzes will test the level of understanding of the material while more complex assignments succeed each topic block. The assignments are not graded but if you hand in a solution, we will give you feedback as preparation for the final exam. Regular live Q&A sessions will be held to answer your questions. You will find all relevant information in Moodle.
Enter with: PMSoSe2020
Exam: 12 August 2020 - 10 a.am. - room H E.51